Wicomico Church native Benjamin Delano Conley was always interested in the well-being of others. As a result, in 1986, he and his wife Virginia created The Ben D. Conley Charitable and Educational Foundation which offers scholarships and grants to students and nonprofits in the Northern Neck.
Their mission was “To provide support and assistance to students and the organizations which enhance and improve the health, education and community welfare for citizens of Lancaster and Northumberland Counties, Virginia.”
For students, that means receiving scholarships to help with the rising cost of tuition. 501(c)3 organizations that support education and families also receive grants to assist with their respective missions. Each year, a specified amount of funds is distributed for these purposes.
The late couple entrusted Chesapeake Wealth Management to serve as trustee of their trust and estate following their death. Jean Light, Senior Wealth Advisor and Senior Vice President of Chesapeake Wealth Management, currently serves as the Chairman of the Board of Directors for the Conley Foundation.
In response to the latest decision of the Governor regarding the closing of schools for the 2019-2020 school year; the Foundation’s Board will be accepting your most recent high school transcript to apply for scholarships. They are still taking applications.
“It is our honor to continue to pass down the Conleys’ legacy and be a part of their tremendous long-term impact on our community. It’s more important than ever at this critical time,” says Jean.
|2019 Scholarship winners include:||The 2019 Nonprofit winners include:|
· Caroline Beck, Weems
· Savannah Blake, Reedville
· Brytayana Carter, White Stone
· Erin-Darby McClain, White Stone
· Nancy McClain, White Stone
· Natalie Smith, Kilmarnock
· Savannah Eppenheimer, White Stone
· Madison Davis, Lancaster
· Samantha Woodcock, Lancaster
· Youth Club of Lancaster County
· Boys and Girls Club of the Northern Neck
· Friends of the Northumberland County Animal Shelter
· Habitat for Humanity
· Lancaster County VA Education Foundation
· The Community Library
· MACORP (Macedonia Community Development Corporation)
· Lancaster VA Historical Society
· Northern Neck – Middlesex Free Health Clinic
· Northern Neck Land Conservancy
· The Link
· Northern Neck Family YMCA
· Healthy Harvest Food Bank
· Morattico Baptist Church
· Wicomico Baptist Church
· Lancaster County Lions Club
· Bon Secours Richmond Health Care Foundation
Requirements including application instructions and deadlines are on the Foundation’s website.
The Ben D. Conley Charitable and Educational Foundation
c/o Chesapeake Wealth Management
P.O. Box 1419
Kilmarnock, VA 22482
If you are interested in learning more about The Ben D. Conley Charitable and Educational Foundation, please visit their website at www.conleyfoundation.org. As for leaving your own legacy, our team at Chesapeake Wealth Management is always available to help. Call them today at 800-434-1181, 888-653-9088, or complete the contact form below.